Last updated on November 25th, 2023 at 07:36 am
How do you update the listing duration on Zillow to keep your property front and center?
We will guide you through the step-by-step process of resetting the number of days since your listing was created, giving your rental property or house a competitive advantage.
We’ll also explore the hidden features and functionalities that can enhance your user experience.
Plus, we’ll share insider tips from real estate professionals who have mastered the art of using Zillow to its full potential.
What is the process for resetting days on Zillow
If you’re an avid user of Zillow, you may have come across the term “days on Zillow” which refers to the number of days a property has been listed on the platform.
Ask any real estate agent and they will say the longer the DOM, the more negotiating power the buyer has.
As a seller, it’s important to maximize your time on the platform and ensure that your listing stays fresh and attracts potential buyers. Resetting the days on Zillow can help you achieve this goal.
1. Take your listing off the market temporarily: To reset the days on Zillow, you’ll need to temporarily remove your listing from the platform.
This can be done by marking your property as “off market” or “withdrawn” in your Zillow dashboard. This action will effectively remove your listing from the active market and reset the “days on Zillow” counter.
2. Review and update your listing: While your listing is off the market, take the opportunity to review and update the information and photos associated with your property. Make sure the listing is accurate, appealing, and includes all the essential details that will attract potential buyers.
3. Make necessary improvements: If there are any areas of your property that need improvement, now is the time to address them. Enhance the curb appeal, fix any minor repairs, or consider staging the space to make it more attractive to buyers. Don’t forget to capture high-quality photos that showcase the best features of your property.
4. Decide on the relisting strategy: Once you’re satisfied with the updates and improvements, it’s time to relist your property on Zillow. You can choose to relist it immediately or strategically time your relisting to attract maximum attention.
5. Monitor your listing performance: After relisting your property, closely monitor the performance of your listing. Track the number of views, inquiries, and any feedback you receive. This will provide valuable insights into the effectiveness of your relisting strategy and help you make any necessary adjustments.
6. Engage with potential buyers: As inquiries and offers come in, be responsive and proactive in engaging with potential buyers. Promptly respond to messages and schedule property showings to keep the momentum going. The more actively you engage with interested parties, the higher the chances of securing a successful sale.
Step 1: Access Your Zillow Rental Account
To begin updating the listing duration on Zillow, you’ll need to access your rental account on the platform. Here’s how:
1. Open the Zillow website or mobile app.
2. Sign in to your Zillow account using your username and password.
3. Once logged in, navigate to the dashboard or main menu of your account.
Step 2: Locate the Listing in the Dashboard
To locate the rental listing in your Zillow dashboard, follow these simple steps:
1. Log in to your Zillow rental account.
2. Once logged in, navigate to the dashboard.
3. Look for the “My Listings” section in the dashboard.
4. Find the specific rental listing you want to update.
5. Click on the listing to access its details and editing options.
Step 3: Edit the Listing Details
To reset the listing duration on Zillow, you need to edit the listing details, including the listing date. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Locate the specific rental listing in the dashboard.
2. Click on the “Edit” button or the pencil icon next to the listing.
3. Scroll down to the listing details section.
4. Update the listing date to reflect the current date or the desired number of days since the listing was created.
5. Double-check that all other information is accurate and up-to-date.
6. Save the changes to update the listing duration on Zillow.
By regularly editing the listing details, you can ensure that your rental property stays relevant in the search results and attracts potential tenants.
Remember to keep the information accurate and provide all the necessary details to make your listing stand out.
Step 4: Save the Changes
Once you have edited the necessary details of your rental listing on Zillow, it’s time to save the changes.
1. Locate the “Save” or “Update” button on the page.
2. Click on the button to save your changes.
3. Take a moment to review the updated listing details to ensure accuracy.
4. Confirm that the changes have been successfully saved by checking for any confirmation messages or indicators on the screen.
Remember to periodically review and update your rental listings on Zillow to ensure maximum visibility and attract more potential tenants.
Regularly refreshing your listing can give you a competitive advantage in the rental market.
Now that you have successfully saved the changes, let’s explore the benefits of regularly resetting the listing duration on Zillow.
More info on resetting days
1. The Initial Listing Period:
When you first list a property on Zillow, it typically goes through an initial listing period.
During this time, you have a certain number of days (usually 30 days) to attract potential buyers and generate interest in your listing.
It’s crucial to make the most of this initial period by presenting your property with compelling descriptions, high-quality photos, and accurate pricing information.
2. The “Price Drop” Strategy:
Zillow allows you to reset the days on market counter by performing a “price drop” on your listing.
If you lower the asking price by a significant amount, you effectively reset the countdown and attract renewed attention from potential buyers.
Keep in mind that simply adjusting the price slightly may not trigger a reset, as Zillow’s algorithm considers the significance of the change.
3. The “Off-Market” Period:
If your property goes off the market for a certain period, either due to a pending sale, lease, or withdrawal, the days on Zillow will reset once the property is relisted.
This off-market period can give you an opportunity to revamp your listing, make necessary improvements to the property, or reconsider the marketing strategy to attract more potential buyers.
4. The “Refresh” Feature:
Zillow provides a “refresh” or “relist” feature that allows you to reset the days on market counter for a listing.
However, the exact frequency and conditions for using this feature may depend on your Zillow account type.
While it can be a useful tool to gain renewed visibility, it’s important to use the refresh feature strategically.
Constantly relisting a property without significant updates or changes may not yield the desired results.
Remember, the primary goal is to provide accurate, up-to-date information to potential buyers.
What is the purpose of resetting days
You essentially give your listing a fresh start.
It allows you to gain additional exposure and generate renewed interest from potential buyers.
Here are a few key benefits of resetting days on Zillow:
Increase visibility: As listings on Zillow are often sorted by the number of days they have been on the market, resetting days can help your listing appear at the top of search results.
This increased visibility can lead to more views and inquiries from interested buyers.
Create a sense of urgency: When a listing appears as a new listing, it creates a sense of urgency among buyers.
They may perceive the property as a hot commodity and be more motivated to take action, such as scheduling a showing or submitting an offer.
Showcase changes and updates: Resetting days on Zillow provides an opportunity to showcase any updates or changes you have made to the property since it was first listed.
Whether it’s a fresh coat of paint, new appliances, or a stunning renovation, resetting days allows potential buyers to see that the property has been improved.
Stay competitive: In a competitive real estate market, resetting days on Zillow can help your listing stand out among similar properties.
By appearing as a new listing, you can catch the attention of buyers who may have overlooked your property in previous searches.
To successfully reset days on Zillow, simply make edits to your listing that trigger the system to recognize it as a new listing.
This could include changing the price, adding new photos, updating the property description, or making any other significant modifications.
It’s important to note that each market and listing category may have different rules and restrictions associated with resetting days, so be sure to familiarize yourself with the specific guidelines provided by Zillow.
Remember, resetting days on Zillow should be done strategically and sparingly.
While it can be an effective way to rejuvenate interest in your listing, excessively resetting days may raise eyebrows and undermine the credibility of the listing.
It’s important to find a balance that maximizes your listing’s exposure while maintaining trust.
What are the consequences of not resetting days on Zillow
Failure to reset the days on Zillow can have a significant impact on your listing’s visibility and overall success.
Decreased visibility: Zillow uses the “days on market” metric to determine the freshness and desirability of listings. When you fail to reset the days on Zillow, your listing appears to have been on the market for a longer period. This can lead to a decrease in visibility, as potential buyers may assume that there’s something wrong with the property or that it’s overpriced.
Reduced buyer interest: Buyers often filter their search results based on the number of days a property has been on the market.
If your listing has an inflated number of days due to not resetting, it may be overlooked by buyers who are specifically looking for recently listed properties. This can result in a significant decrease in buyer interest and fewer inquiries.
Perceived stale listing: When buyers see a listing that has been on the market for an extended period without a reset, they may perceive it as a stale listing.
They might assume that the property has issues that have prevented it from selling, which can deter potential buyers from considering it further.
Resetting the days on Zillow helps create a fresh impression and signals to buyers that the listing is still actively on the market.
Missed opportunities: The longer your listing remains without a reset on Zillow, the more potential opportunities you may miss out on.
Active buyers who regularly search for new listings may skip over yours, thinking it’s an old listing they’ve already seen.
By not resetting the days, you could miss the chance to attract new buyers who may have been interested in your property.
How do I know if I need to make changes
Stagnating interest: If your listing has been on Zillow for an extended period without generating substantial interest or inquiries, it could be a sign that refreshing the days on the market counter is necessary.
By restarting the counter, your property will appear as a fresh listing, catching the attention of potential buyers who may have overlooked it before.
Changes in market conditions: Real estate markets are dynamic, and fluctuations can influence the level of interest in your property.
If you’ve noticed a slowdown in buyer activity or a shift in market demand, resetting the days on Zillow can give your listing a renewed opportunity to capture the attention of prospective buyers in the current market climate.
Price adjustments: If you have made significant price reductions on your property but haven’t seen a corresponding increase in buyer interest, resetting the days on Zillow can be a strategic move to highlight the updated pricing to potential buyers.
Updated listing information: If you have made substantial changes or updates to your property since the initial listing, it’s beneficial to reset the days on Zillow.
This allows you to showcase the latest features or improvements, ensuring that potential buyers are aware of the value your property offers.
Competitive market landscape: In highly competitive real estate markets, where new listings are frequent and buyer attention is limited, resetting the days on Zillow can give your property an edge.
By presenting it as a newly listed property, you increase the chances of it appearing in buyers’ search results and capturing their attention among a sea of competing listings.
One of the key takeaways from this blog is the importance of regularly refreshing your listings.
By updating your photos, descriptions, and price, you can ensure that your properties stand out from the competition and attract potential buyers.
This simple action can significantly improve your visibility and engagement on Zillow.
Additionally, it is crucial to utilize the available tools and features provided by Zillow to your advantage.
Make the most of Zillow’s current functionality and take advantage of other online platforms like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace to maximize the exposure of your rental listings and reach a wider audience.
With over 15 years of unwavering dedication to the Texas real estate market, Andrew Reichek is your trusted partner in achieving your real estate dreams. As a licensed Texas Real Estate Broker, Andrew’s unparalleled experience and expertise make him the go-to choice for both buyers and sellers. His extensive knowledge of the local real estate landscape and commitment to delivering exceptional service have made him a recognized authority in the industry.